Monday 4 February 2013

31 Day Blog Challenge: Week 22 - Inspired by a Song

I had several ideas for this weeks challenge, my immediate thought was to do Yellow by Coldplay and just do insanely yellow nails lol but it seemed like a bit of a cheat... Then I thought about doing something classical like Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven and doing my nails with phases of the moon. Then I struck gold. This is the song I decided on in the end:

"I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire" by The Ink Spots

I've been totally geeking out about this song choice because it was used a lot in the Fallout series of games and having played a fair amount of Fallout 3 at the boyfriends house it's a song that has stuck with me.

Fallout 3 is a post-apocalyptic game set in the Washington area of North America in 2277 after a nuclear war over resources that occurred 200 years previously. Your character has been sheltered in a bunker called Vault 101, which was designed to protect people from nuclear fallout following the war. During the game you escape the bunker into the wasteland beyond and set about exploring it whilst trying to track down your father who escaped just before you. It's a fab, freestyle game that really gets you thinking. I guess it's typically a man-game because of the guns and gritty graphics style but I really enjoyed it too!

The song itself is from 1941 and the whole of the music in the game is from a similar era. Here are the lyrics and a video with in-game footage so you can hear it in full and get a feel for it!


I don't want to set the world on fire
I just want to start
A flame in your heart
In my heart I have but one desire
And that one is you
No other will do

I've lost all ambition for worldly acclaim
I just want to be the one you love
And with your admission that you feel the same
I'll have reached the goal I'm dreaming of

Believe me!
I don't want to set the world on fire
I just want to start
A flame in your heart

This second video is a pre-release "teaser" that includes the song. This still gives me goosebumps. I think it's the combination of the cheery music and the hopeless surroundings. I felt the same about the music in "Jeepers Creepers" if anyone remembers that film.


I took inspiration for my nail design from the first two lines of the song. Here are the pictures:


I accidentally did the heart the wrong way up on my right hand, which is why there's only one picture of it lol but let's just ignore that and check out the cool contrast between the matte black and the super shiny glitter!

The polishes I used for this are as follows:
Filth Gorgeous - Twilight
Rimmel (Not CF) - Matte Finish Top Coat
Models Own - Prussian Blue
China Glaze - Electrify, Pure Joy and Gaga for Green
Rio Nail Art Pens

I'm really happy with the way these have turned out =) as I said above I really like the matte and glitter together and I am pleased with my little Earths! Electrify is such a pretty glitter, I wasn't sure whether to get it or not but it's really sparkly in person and I'm very glad it's mine. It goes well with Pure Joy though the gold is more yellow in Electrify. I thought at first they might be the reverse of each other and they would be if the gold was the same shade.

And now for something completely different

Gemx's nail art this week is super girly and pretty! Check out how gorgeous this is!



"I decided to choose Rachel Stamp - My Sweet Rose. 
Rachel Stamp were one of my favourite bands when I was 16 and obsessed with early Manic Street Preachers and this is one of my favourite songs. It's trashy and fun! :) I wish I had gone to see them live, but when they were touring I was under 18 and couldn't get in anywhere :(
I was going to do one rose nail and the rest in leopard print, but my first rose turned out better than I expected so I did a rose on every nail :)
I used a base of Kiko 221 ( a sheer pinky gold). Then for the roses I used OPI Shorts Story and Missguided Misstify. Then I used w7 Cosmic Green glitter for the petals and I finally found my Andrea Fullerton black striper, which I used for the stem.
I think I'm going to enjoy these next set of challenges, the hardest thing is deciding out of all the options what to do!"

Here is the video she linked me:


I haven't heard the song or band before so I can't comment on her taste in music lol but I LOVE the rose nail art! They're so striking yet delicate at the same time. Gorgeous job Gem!

That's it (finally) for this week's challenge! Make sure you pop over and check out Alli's design too!

-Leisha.

Outake: Willow was wondering why I was not giving her attention whilst taking photos!

"STROKE MY FAAACE"

No comments: